Want to prepare for design challenges?
According to Ian Armstrong, Principal UX Designer, Dell EMC: “The design test isn’t about getting things right, it’s about showing your process. Don’t be afraid to do that. UX isn’t about having the solution, it’s about knowing how to get there.”
Why whiteboard exercises?
In addition to testing product thinking, whiteboard exercises are a great tool to test candidate against abilities like:
- Communicating effectively with the team.
- Thinking critically and asking good questions.
- Handling feedback / constructive criticism.
- Performance in a high-pressure environment on a new problem that has a looming deadline.
Whether this is the kind of person the team would like to collaborate with on a day-to-day basis.
(taken from https://blog.prototypr.io/product-design-exercises-we-use-at-wework-interviews-2ee1f5a57319 )
Whiteboard Design Challenge Resources
- 5 Steps to master whiteboard design challenge – https://uxdesign.cc/5-steps-to-master-a-whiteboard-design-challenge-6ecbe9ec38b7
- Whiteboard Design Challenge Framework – https://uxdesign.cc/designchallenge-cd7bdb589855
- A Concise Guide to Onsite Challenges – https://uxplanet.org/a-concise-guide-to-onsite-design-challenges-7e67293390e1
- How to Tackle a Design Interview Challenge – https://medium.com/tradecraft-traction/weight-watchers-design-challenge-700a23491910
- Working through Design Challenges in Product Design Job Interviews –https://uxdesign.cc/working-through-design-challenges-in-digital-product-design-interviews-d4b118df4265
- Designercize: Practice design exercise generator https://designercize.com/